Do personality assessment tests really work? We are going to discuss the why, when & how to give assessment tests. Personally, I am not a big fan because they do nothing to develop the human connection which is so important in today’s hiring landscape.
"Body language and tone of voice - not words - are our most powerful assessment tools." - Christopher Voss
Founder and original software developer, David Ferguson, was born into a manufacturing family by virtue of his father, the owner/operator of a fabrication job shop that still operates today. Now, with over 25 years of experience working in and writing software for the fabrication industry, David is considered an expert in the job shop arena. A sought-after speaker, he has consulted with numerous manufacturing companies around the globe, guiding them to become more efficient and cost-effective.
In the early 80’s, David created and sold his first computer program, Arrow Data Systems, a CAD/CAM system for the Apple IIe computer. During this time, he observed his father coming home late each night, only to begin the estimating process for his shop. David saw an opportunity to automate the estimating process using technology. As a result, the “Quote It” estimating package was born, becoming one of the leading sheet metal estimating packages in the world. Shortly thereafter, wanting to expand its capabilities, David developed the FabriTRAK Production Control Package. Over the years, it had been licensed to both METALSOFT and Amada America.
By the end of 2007, David had regained control of all FabriTRAK licensing agreements, completely re-wrote its production control offering, creating MIE Trak Pro. MIE Trak Pro is a state-of-the-art ERP system ideally suited to manufacturing businesses. It was designed to accommodate most production cycles and optimize the capabilities of repetitive, custom, quick-turn, and mixed mode operations. To launch his newly optimized program, he partnered with Don Clutter and founded MIE Solutions.
Since its inception, MIE Solutions has grown over 500 percent. In addition to North American sales and support locations, MIE Solutions operates offices in Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom.
- Are personality assessments worth the time?
- What are the true results you can expect
- Personality Assessment Tests - Why should they be given
- Measuring against what you are looking for in a person.
- personality, Based on traits they think will be successful.
- Screening tool
- Do they damage the personal connection?
- Cultivate the transactional relationship?
- Create a lazy interview process?
- What if you are wrong about the traits?
- Judge against the company values?
- Assessments are not an identification tool
- The best tool is still a conversation
- Assessments are Transactional
- If used too early in the process, kills the human connection
- Personality traits do not ensure a successful hire
- Great to tell you how to manage after they have been hired!
- Order in which tests should be given & Why?
- When should tests be given
- For skills, onsite after talking to a live human and engaged
- For personality, at the end.
- How should they be given
PXT test - cultural fit
Provides more confidence in the hire.
- Felt confident in a hire even though the personal side was not as clear
- Additive to what they feel they can do
- Flags people who give contradictory answers
Willingness to take the extra step has really amplified the level of quality and the people they hired
Results for David’s company
- Lower attrition
- Better employee treatment based on their understanding of the individuals
- Management tools for the tenure of the employee
- The exam is essentially the behavioral test?
- To Judge against a cultural fit, you must know your corporate values first!
- HUGE mistake - when company’s use it too early in the interview process.
- Must have a person emotionally engaged first
- The assessment is just another tool in your arsenal
- If you are not comfortable with it, don't hire the person (rash decision)
- Don’t be rushed. Hiring is not an emergency