“But I have managed to hire two rockstars without having any formalized hiring structure” Said my friend Anthony. To which I quickly replied back “I’d rather be lucky than good”!
It is great to have a few “superstars” in your organization but it is outstanding to have an organization built entirely of well positioned, highly productive people, A-players.
Having a system for hiring is the only way to make the leap from average to extraordinary.
A global partner marketing agency, and the co-founder and Chairman of BrandCycle. A serial entrepreneur, he has a passion for helping individuals and organizations build their capacity to Elevate.
Robert was twice named to Glassdoor’s list of Top Small & Medium Companies CEO's (#2) and was selected as a Top 22 Conscious Business Leaders of 2019 by Conscious Company.
He speaks to companies and organizations around the world on topics related to business growth, culture, capacity-building and performance.
Today we discuss:
- Why systems, especially in hiring, to win!
- Robert’s process for hiring
Why are business leaders reluctant to follow a hiring system?
- Moving from a superstar hiring culture to a systematic process
- Getting everyone to do work up front
- Agreeing on what success looks like in the role
- Clarity in the scorecard
- Everyone to follow the process
- Being thorough to meet objectives
Why is this important to the company?
- Process pushes the responsibility of building great teams to the teams
- Scalable in removing leadership from the process quickly
- Scientific process and repeatable
- Process & systems win
- “I’m too busy and don't have time to sit down and develop a process” - You
- Hiring process needs to be driven by leadership
- Hiring the strongest people, needs to be your strongest talent
How do we solve the problem?
- Collect process from other firms
- Layout - read Who
- Developing the playbook as a team
- Eliminating the bias & urgency
- Clear on qualities & outcomes
- Making everything behavioral based
- Training the playbook
- Train & certify on the process
- No interviewing unless you are and expert on the process itself
- Evaluate interviews
- Following the process
- Look at the data and scorecards, not gut
- Improving the playbook based on mistakes
- Debriefed on mid hires and find the holes in the system
- Get uncomfortable and figure it out now
- Read Healing Career Wounds (Available May 20 - Preorder on Amazon)
- HireOS interview process -
- Role playing - best training!
- Scorecard = performance metrics - measurable / timeline
Key Takeaways -Value:
- Your current hiring process is probably no better than 50/50
- Based on individuals not a repeatable process
- A good process also really helps with remote hiring
- This is the #1 way to improve your culture
This show is proudly sponsored by Criteria Crop: https://www.criteriacorp.com/