Asking for help as an entrepreneur is often a difficult thing to do. But it is the one thing you MUST do if you want to succeed.
I learned this from my friend, Lori Torres, the founder of Parcel Pending. Lori was able to grow the company from $0 to a $100M exit in six years … and the reason it was such a success is because she asked for help… a lot!
Asking for help gets people engaged. It allows them to gain insight into the business and is critical in getting over the business humps. It also sets the stage to hire outstanding people.
And guess what, people will do it because they want to help.
A Hawaii-based and globally recognized agriculture technology company that is revolutionizing the way small- and medium-scale farms operate.
Vincent was named the 2016 Clean Tech/Ag Entrepreneur by the Hawaii Venture Capital Association and a 2016 finalist in the Pacific Business News Business Leadership Awards.
He was also named to the Pacific Business News 2016 40 Under 40 cohort, which recognizes outstanding young business professionals in Hawaii. He lives in Honolulu with his wife Lisa and their three children.
Vincent faces the daily challenges of start-up life and is here to share his learnings.
Today we discuss:
- Why it is important to ask for help
- How to get the help you need when hiring
Asking for help to support your hiring process as a startup founder?
- Understanding how a person is positioned
- How willing to take on risk
- Introductions- changing the dynamics to leverage more mentorship
- Passion for the mission of the company
- Concerned about the perception from the outside
- We end up hiring to fill a need vs. what the business needs
Why is this important to the company?
- Wasn't able to grow in a natural way
- Fully driven by the CEO
- Passion might be there but
- Less emphasis on trying people out vs. All in
- The team is the make or break
- Big difference between people who want to do the work and those who do the work for the paycheck.
- Eliminate the Assumptions
Hey Subscribers! Keep an eye out for our newsletter as we are giving away 10 signed copies of Healing Career Wounds! Simply complete the linked survey and your name will be entered in the drawing. You'll also be able to download a free chapter of the book just for participating!
How do we solve the problem?
- Define what the business needs
- Core values
- The business strategy & model
- What needs to be done & when
- Understand the person's desire
- Go Slow
- Identify builders… and Improvers
- Discovery call
- Builders will tell you they need to build (bored with the work)
- Eliminate the Assumptions
- Hire what the business needs
- Your ego, wants and assumptions
- Start with contractors
- Letting go
- Stop doing everything yourself!
- Help someone else's business while they help you build yours
- Expectations alignment document- will solidify a fit for your leadership team
- Business needs - support to grow
Key Takeaways that the Audience can plug into their business today! - Value:
- Don’t wing it….
- Get help and plan it out…. Do your homework
This show is proudly sponsored by Criteria Corp: https://www.criteriacorp.com/
Rick's book - Healing Career Wounds (Amazon)